Saturday, January 26, 2008

Bar Pages: Almost Done With the Nearly Titled Story

I took myself and my notebook out to the bar tonight and finished The Tree Story. I finally figured out the technical part of it and got through the end. It doesn't quite work yet, but I figure I can fix a lot as I transcribe it onto the computer. So, even though the story is complete, it's not really finished yet as a rough draft. I was aiming to submit it tomorrow, but it's going to have to wait.

Getting out of the house with my notebook has been nice. It's a good rhythm for me right now and it helps to have that designated time set aside where I just have writing to focus on without thoughts of homework from my classes, planning for Comp., or any of the dozen other distractions I have at home.

Writing at the bar also provides entertainment for bystanders. Tonight I was asked by half a dozen people how I could write in the midst of all the activity. I'm just one of those people who works well with background noise. My earliest writing habits were developed while I was in middle school and working on a story in the midst of a lecture, so I'm used to it.

I also had a request from a couple of regulars/friends of mine to read the story once I get it typed up. Having "civilians" read my work actually makes me more nervous than having other writerly folk read it. All I can figure is that, with other writers, I know approximately what to expect. Their comments may be critical, but I know what direction they're coming from.

Now I've just got to type it all up, fix it, and decide whether or not the title is going to have "Madeline" in it. Piece of cake.

No comments: