Tuesday, January 1, 2008

It's In Writing

Of all the things I've ever written, a syllabus and the first chunk of my course calendar are among those that have left me feeling strange. Suddenly this teaching gig is much more real and concrete. I now know that on Wednesday, January 23 I'll be talking to my class about essays by James Clifford and Stephen Greenblatt, and assigning them MySpace as homework.

So, I've got the rough drafts of my syllabus and calendar (January 14-February 8th) off to Katherine who'll make notes on it and send it back. A couple of revisions later and bingo-bango, I've got the first four weeks of my class. Far out.

I think what I've got so far will be fun. I'm leaning on another professor's first formal paper to guide my first few weeks, and he titled it "My Language, My stuff, and My Culture." We're diving right into some anthropological stuff here, i.e. my undergrad. minor, so I feel pretty comfortable with it. I can even bring in some pictures of ethnic tattoos and talk about scarification. Hoorah!

No comments: