Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Problem With Computers

I've been making progress on The Tree Story, but once I got past the first bit, my progress slowed right down. I've got the beginning, I've got the ending, I just need to get the middle. Today is one of my "weekend" days, and thus, a day I planned on being productive. I've got my To Do list, and one of the items on it is to forge on through the middle part of the story.

I turned on my computer, pulled up the file, and checked my e-mail, did a round of the blogs, fiddled with Pandora, checked my campus e-mail in case a student wanted to get a hold of me, etc. etc. Time I've been on the computer: 2 hours. Words I've added to the story: 0.

Yes, I'm working on a hard part, but I also know that the way to tackle the problem is just that, to tackle it. I have to write through it, I have to start getting momentum. Or, I could check my e-mail again and see if my friend has replied yet. I've reached the conclusion that it's time for me to print out what I've got so far of The Tree Story, turn off my computer, and go do some coffee shop pages.

Whatever else can be said in the typing vs. handwriting debate, there is one undeniable fact: You can't waste time checking your e-mail (or updating your blog) if all you've got is a paper notebook and pen.

2 comments:

Tony said...

I find that I have to do revisions/proofreading on paper or else i let myself check email, write blog entries, check blogs, check comments, look for new and important internet sites...you get the idea:)

Jenny Maloney said...

Yes, computers are distracting. Very. See? I'm typing a response to this instead of doing what I'm supposed to do.