Sunday, January 6, 2008

January Doldrums? Bar Book?

I just got off from the bar about an hour ago and I'm not quite unwound enough to try to sleep. My hope was to make the rounds and catch up on everybody's blog. Imagine my disappointment in finding out that nobody's updated lately. What slackers!

It seems the only way I can catch up on the latest blog updates is by updating my own. So unfair.

A month or so ago, one of the bar regulars told me I ought to write a book about the bar. I must admit, the thought intrigues me. Thanks to my new habit of jotting down notes and quotes during my shifts, I've accumulated over a dozen pages of material already and I can't help but think that there must be some way to assemble it all into something. I wonder... is it a non-fiction book? I could compile all the quotes and divide them into sections titled things like, "Unclear on the Concept" and "Gender Politics."

Maybe I ought to sit down with Juan and tell him I've decided to throw out my original thesis plan and replace it with the bar book. It'd be rather more humorous and significantly less bloody.

Joking aside, I'm beginning to think more seriously about the bar book, if simply because it would be gratifying to put it all together in writing. I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

The One and Only John said...

It can be just as bloody if you tweak it right...maybe not such a good idea, I don't know. It doesn't necessarily have to be non-fiction, but fiction inspired by real events. Make it a fictional place occupied by fictional people with fictional events occurring in their fictional lives. Even it doesn't become your thesis, I think it behooves you to take on such a project anyway, you've done a lot of work on it already.

Jenny Maloney said...

Hey, James and I decided a while ago that we were going to write a book called "American Pub" and we would go on a wild road trip: taking photos and listening to some of the best stories of pubs across the U.S. You want in? I kinda pictured it as a photo/history/humor/coffee table book. Then, if it was successful, we'd get good and drunk along the European bars....

Ali said...

I'm in. I can even bring the camera.