Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Letter 1 Responses

Today I collected the first writings from the class and I started reading them during my office hours. I was a bit anxious to see how they'd turn out, and I'm so pleased to see that they're exactly what I was hoping for.

Wanna talk metafiction? Or, metawriting, anyhow? I ask them to say, in writing, how they write. One student in particular grabbed right onto that by saying, I like to write in X format, which I've written this letter in. It's very curious to have people say, in writing, what their writing is like.

These letters are particularly helpful since I'm splitting the class into groups on Friday. The groups are going to be assigned, and I'd already made a couple of notes about potential groups, and now I get to add to that knowledge of who has which strengths so I can put them together with others who don't necessarily have that strength to increase the possibility of different students rubbing off on each other. It's great fun.

3 comments:

The One and Only John said...

Ooooh, sounds like experimenting with human subjects, plenty of opportunity for fun with this.

Jenny Maloney said...

Dude, I'm dizzy. How are you keeping up with all that? I can barely keep track of my own writing, let alone 30+ students.

Ali said...

It's only 20 students, actually. Piece of cake. In all seriousness, though, that's where being a waitress comes in handy because I'm so used to keeping a dozent things in my mind all the time while at the bar (there's drink orders to remember, who wants popcorn, who is about ready for me to check on them, etc). The context is different, but the jist is the same.