Tuesday, January 29, 2008

.8mm Nib

Tonight was a prime example of the whole point of this blog's title. Sometimes you've got to let go of your plan and let something else figure things out on your behalf. Every now and again, it works.

I got a fountain pen today. It's technically for calligraphy (since that was the only way I could find a cheap one). As soon as I had time to try it out, I started a new letter to Camii.

This month my challenge for everyone is to change their writing ritual. My plan was/is to do more longhand writing and to step away from my pre-planned projects.

Since Sunday I've been listening to The Church in my car.

Yesterday I had a Hungry Eye meeting and afterwards gave a ride to someone who talked about her poetry.

A handful of nights ago I had a dream.

In my letter to Camii, I hit a spot where I told her how making the decision to step away from knowing what to write next meant I wasn't really sure what I would write next. I started talking about a possible story idea. Then, I started to tell her about the dream.

On my way home from class tonight, I started to write a poem. All of the things I listed went together and led to the poem, even if I can't exactly explain how all of them fit. Once I got home I grabbed a piece of paper and my fountain pen and wrote out the first draft.

Care to dance?

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Oooh, and how do you like your fountain pen? Do you have to refill it a lot? What color ink do you use? Does it make a scratching sound when you write? Is it a groovy sound or is it annoying? Are all these questions annoying?

Whew. I think I was channeling Whit there for a minute. Not fun.

Ali said...

I like it pretty well, though after less than a dozen pages of writing, it's already half empty.

Ink colors: I got a multi-pack and one of just purple, so I'll have a variety. No scratchy sound, really. It's fun, and it's perfect for this challenge. The nib is a flat tip, which means even the shapes of my letters are different, so it fits beautifully with the idea of changing the routine of my writing.

The questions aren't annoying, but watch out for that channeling Whit thing, I worry that too much of it might 'cause a tear in the fabric of reality.