Thursday, January 10, 2008

Assignment 1: Artifacts and Culture

"My main difference is that while Jason puts language and material objects (artifacts) in two separate groups, I've put them together in the larger category of artifact, because language is just as man-made as anything else, and as such, it is an artifact just as much as a ancient scroll is. In class I plan to discuss the definition of artifact and why I consider language to be an artifact. However, I'm a little worried that it might be confusing to students. What are your thoughts?"
-Me, to Katherine and Rick

I just sent off my first formal assignment write-up to Katherine and Rick. It's neat to have it written out, and although much of it is borrowed from someone else, it's an assignment which pulls from my undergrad. anthropology background, so I feel confident about doing it with my class.

My question, as stated above, mostly is the question of how big a role that anthropology background should have in my Composition class. The Comp. program at the university is based in Social Constructivist theory, i.e. nobody writes in a vacuum and everybody is influenced by culture, so there's some room for anthropology. It's just a matter of finding the right balance. Thank goodness for being able to ask Katherine. She's hard core Comp. and an excellent guide for what'll work and what'll flop in class.

Meanwhile, what do you guys think?

3 comments:

The One and Only John said...

I think what you are delving into deals with what counts as an artifact and what doesn't. Now, where you might confuse students is the disconnect between the strict definition of artifact and the colloquial definition. You say "artifact" to most people and they'll think of Indiana Jones rubbing his chin in front of a golden idol. Language, in that sense, is only an artifact should people stop speaking the language in everyday conversation, not counting academic study. Some people may consider Latin or Sanskrit or Sumerian to be "artifacts".

However, taking a the time to place language in the context you're shooting for may enhance your student's grasp of what it is they are really doing, as long as they don't get too hung up on it. If they are freshman, the chances of that are a little high.

Jenny Maloney said...

I'm not sure I get it.

Jenny Maloney said...

Okay, now for real...

I think whatever you use to introduce your concepts is fair game. In a nutshell, the fact that the university emphasizes that writing does not happen in a vaccuum means that inherently you as a teacher need to expose the idea of influence/collaboration/the meandering thoughts of the guy down the road all play a part. I think anthropology is a really good way to jump into it. Makes the world not only seem larger, but adds another thing that can influence. Does that make any kind of sense?

And, as far as Comp. goes, I think it's less about the fact that they get the idea "right" than the fact that they can communicate their opinion about the idea. So, if they happen to think "Oh! Golden Monkey!" as 'artifact'...you know...whatever helps get them thinking....Just present your information as clearly and unconfusedly as possible, then just sit back and see what they can do.