Thursday, March 6, 2008

Next Year's H. Eye Cover

Today Andy, Jo, and I went on an expedition to the Arts and Music building to look at possible Hungry Eye cover designs. Since the H. Eye is a university mag., the idea is to do as much in-house as possible. Ergo, the cover gets designed by university art students. Pretty neat, eh?

After our H. Eye meeting (we've got a tentative order laid out and we're beginning to contact authors - hoorah for progress) we hiked across campus and looked at maybe two dozen or more samples that one of the art classes had prepared for us. A lot of good stuff. We narrowed our choices down to two. Jo and Andy are more partial to one, I'm more partial to the other (we'll see how it works out, but I think I have a pretty good argument for choosing the one I like). Then we briefly spoke to the artists of each about some design modifications - i.e. could we see the title in another font? type of stuff.

It was pretty cool, I must say. My favorite cover has an abstract design on the front and it's currently in red, gray, and black. The artist is going to modify the colors to go with a more earthy palette, and we'll have another look. If it were just me, I'd take it right now as is, but it's not just my call, so we'll see.

On a side note: the artist who created my favorite cover is also a football player. How do you like that juxtaposition?

No comments: