Monday, March 3, 2008

Commitments

Last week was rough. Between all of my various commitments, almost all of my free time got gobbled up and I just couldn't manage writing time. I was really aware of this, too, in a way I'm not really aware of missing a project goal. The Tree Story never got revised, but I didn't really think about missing that goal. Missing my Thursday pages has been much more prominent in my mind.

Right now it's working better for me to commit to writing time rather than committing to finishing specific projects. If I figure on writing for an hour, then I'm automatically making progress and I have that designated time. Whereas if I figure on finishing a project, I'm more likely not to hit that goal because of procrastination. If I can do it tomorrow, then I'm not working on it today. However, if I'm working on it today, I might just finish it today.

As a bonus, since I'm "just" committing to the time, I have less pressure on myself because I don't have to make any particular amount of progress - even though having a time commitment usually means I end up with more pages than I would otherwise. It's really just a matter of coming at it from the other side.

When you make writing commitments, is it usually more effective for you to make those commitments in terms of time spent writing, page counts, or finishing a specific story/poem/chapter/etc.?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't know.... And I'm suddenly very emotionless about it.