Thursday, November 29, 2007

Dream (Writing) Job

I've been watching a lot of good shows lately, there's Heroes, Angel, Scrubs, and now I just started Six Feet Under which looks like it'll be fun. Between that, and talk of the WGA strike out in Hollywood, I'm reminded that being a TV writer is a real job.

On my list of dream jobs, TV writer ranks pretty high. Specifically, writing for a show like one of those listed above. An ongoing drama with characters you get to dig into, plus a bit of humor to boot (okay, not so much with Heroes). There's also the fact that it's one of the few non-solitary writing gigs one can have, and you get to hang around with a bunch of people just as nerdy as you. Then, there's the slim chance of one day working with someone fantastic like Joss. Ah, that'd be the ticket.

The downside is that, to write for TV it seems like you pretty much have to live in California, but I think I could do that if I had to. If Joss was involved, I wouldn't mind spending a few years on the moon. It'd be fun, and a story for the grandkids (or, great neices/nephews, anyway).

How about you? With the exceptions of novelist, poet, or short story writer, what's your dream writing gig?

1 comment:

Jenny Maloney said...

Writing for soap operas...still has the appeal of the writing for T.V. shows, but you get to build and destroy whole lifetimes. Yippee!

Of course, screenwriting/playwrighting has its own lusty appeal. Great scripts that tell great stories...hold the same appeal as novel writing.