Monday, December 24, 2007

Blood Diamond

It's not particularly often that I watch a movie where, upon finishing it, my first impulse is to watch it again. This one impressed me.

For one thing, Edward Zwick does a fantastic job of scale and balance. You get the whole picture without getting overwhelmed or desensitized by it and he has a great touch for inter-cutting perspectives and stories. Then you have fantastic lead characters and actors who pull them. Wow.

My favorite part of this is the intense believability and DiCaprio's character, Danny Archer. Of course, as we know, I'm all about a good redeption story, especially when it's complex. Nice. If you haven't seen this one yet, you should remedy that. Excellent storytelling.

As an added note - Zwick's other choice for Danny Archer was none other than Russell Crowe. This is particularly fun since 3:10 To Yuma is also an excellent redemption story.

4 comments:

Jenny Maloney said...

I'm totally with you! I really liked this movie, though I could have gone without the political pep rally at the very end. But as far as Archer goes--yippee! And I really, really wanna have an opportunity in real life to say "bling-bang" to someone.

Ali said...

Yeah, lots of good lines.

Archer: I like to get kissed before I get fucked.

Captain Poison: You think I'm a demon, but that's only because I have lived in hell.

Maddy: The entire country's at war. Why should I help just one person?... I can't believe I just said that.

The One and Only John said...

Refresh
Refresh
Refresh...

Ali said...

Hey now, young man. We'll be having none of that. I've been in another country for the past few days, I'm totally allowed not to post while I'm on vacation.