Wednesday, April 2, 2008

I/We, He/She: Seafaring Songs and Identity

Last night I got back my most recent paper for Scottish Lit. I'm super proud of the paper's title, which is why it's also the title of this post. It's got a ring to it.

Papers for this class are proving fun. I'm delving into songs and discovering neat things about them. This last paper was all about the way identity is used in sea songs and some groovy things emerged once I started making connections. It was fun.

However, that's not why I mention the paper. The reason I mention it is because of the note my professor jotted at the top of the first page. The last part of the note: "I hope you'll continue this investigation and possibly come up with something publishable." I had to do a double-take. Publish a school paper? What?

Well, duh. Academic journals are filled with essays and papers just like what I've been producing and somebody's got to write those. The subject of academic publishing has come up a couple times in graduate school, but it's always been distant to me. Essays are things I write in order to pass a class. While some are more fun than others, I'm not so invested in them as my fiction. Once they get a grade, they've fulfilled their purpose.

Now I've got a grain of genuine consideration for academic publishing. My paper would need more work, more research, etc. but the idea might have a shot. Hrm... Could one of my essays actually earn me a publishing credit?

8 comments:

Minion GIR said...

And on something that was fun for you. Isn't that the best?

Ooh, you'll get published. And you'll send a copy to Great Big Sea and they'll send you tickets and backstage passes to their next show in Denver and you'll take me!

Oh, wait. That last part was all supposed to stay in my head.

Jenny Maloney said...

Yes, you can publish your essays...just ask Shane.

Ali said...

And later, when I do my paper including a Russell Crowe song, we can get to meet him, too. This is how I'll meet the people I admire.

Next up, a Neil Gaiman paper...

Mishell said...

Okay, so everyone knows I'm all about having a "rich fantasy life" (hence the Josh Groban, Keanu Reeves, Matthew McCaunahey--or however you spell it--thing.) But, really, do you honestly think musicians think English geeks are cool enough to hang around with? Now, you'll always be cool to me, Ali. But then, I'm just as big of a geek as you. Probably bigger.

Then again, far be it for me to squash anyone's dreams . . . what am I saying? I love squashing dreams! Muahahahaha!

Minion GIR said...

Maybe not usually, Mishell, but all four founding members of Great Big Sea have degrees in English.

Yes, I'm that big a geek.

Way-hey, and away we go!

Ali said...

I don't know what you're talking about, Mishell. I am ultra cool. So cool, in fact, that I'm downright chilly.

The GBS guys pull it off, why can't I? And isn't Colin Firth an English major, too?

The One and Only John said...

I say go for it. Even if you only get to meet people who disagree with you, that's something too.

Jenny Maloney said...

Jodi Foster=English major too