Monday, April 28, 2008

Adventures in Research

I had a hard time deciding what this month would be all about. I have plans for goofing off and relaxing, but I've already done a challenge about that. After a bit of brain wracking, I've finally figured out a suitable theme. My inspiration actually comes from D.B. and her recent spa investigations.

This month, I challenge you to do some research. "Write what you know" is popular advice, and I'm sure you've read a few stories/novels already where there was some detail about something that the author flat out got wrong. Annoying, isn't it? Don't be that guy.

For May, I'm challenging everyone to do some hands-on research. Think of something you've always wanted to try, but never have. Think of something you've had in mind for a story. This is your month to get your hands dirty and figure out how plumbing/hiking/oil painting/ordering coffee really works. Pick something you're not already familiar with. Pick something that could be the hobby or profession of one of your characters, or just pick something that could be a good setting. Take pictures, take notes, take a friend along for the ride.

Just do something new and broaden your well of experience so you can draw from it in your writing later (or not so later) on.

No comments: