Monday, August 13, 2007

Stardust and The Point of Writing

"A fun, funny, action-adventure, fairy tale. With cross-dressing. What more could you want from a summer flick?"
-Deb

It's not so often that I find myself totally and completely impressed with a story. It happened Friday, though. (Okay, granted, the very end/epilogue part was a bit corny for my taste, but everything up to it was aces). As I walked out of the theater, all I could think about was, "Wow."

Between that movie, and a new post John put on his blog, part of which is: "This has brought me back to the reason for wanting to write in the first place: I want to tell stories. I want to be someone who take another human being, and transport them to a time and place of my choosing and introduce them to characters who can enrich their lives." I'm in a mood where it's all making sense. Why write? Why bother? 'Cause of Neil Gaiman.

Wait, that leap might not have been clear. Let me elaborate. The idea John's describing is one I've heard from Neil Gaiman, who I love and adore. That we can go from so many blank pages to an audience/readership being impacted by what you put on them... That the story someone loves is only in existence because you brought it forth from your imagination...

That's why I write.

No comments: