Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Paradox Story

We're in the midst of a search on campus. The English department is looking to fill some faculty positions, one of which is for a Rhetoric/Composition instructor. At the beginning of the candidate visits, I volunteered to help out. Part of my motives are purely selfish - I get to meet and talk with people from around the country who have taught the class I'm teaching now, and I get to add those conversations to my resource bank. So far, I've met two candidates for this position and I've gotten at least one good idea from each of them. On the ride back from the airport today, the second candidate told me a fun story.

She told me about an assignment she gave her Comp. students where she had them research the job fields they were going to college for. Specifically, she had them research the types of writing their indended careers required. It all went swimmingly, until she had a student who was a welder. The student insisted that absolutely no writing was ever required for welding. Then he had one of his welding instructors write a letter to state this point.

I'm entertained.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Welding is cool. I want a monster truck. You've got to weld those.