Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Feb. Post Game

For all that January whooshed by, February has seemed to crawl. Funny, that. I like the irony.

My main stated goal for this month was to shake up my writing routine. I got a fountain pen and made a point of hauling myself out into the world at least once a week to do some writing in a place that had fewer distractions than my home. Consider my routine shaken. Well, then the pen started getting ideas and my pattern further changed when I started writing poetry instead of short stories.

Later on, it got even worse when I decided that this month would be the month that I pulled back from having an audience. I didn't submit to the group. Again, with the funny timing - after making that decision, I was propositioned to do a poetry/fiction reading (which was fun) and I made the decision to enter a poetry contest. The best-laid plans, right?

With all this shaking and contradicting, this month really ran with the changing my routine idea and exaggerated it to the point of general anarchy (but not the hurting kind).

Shaking up the writing routine, first times, and trying new things. It only seems fitting that the tail-end of the month featured the debut of baby Bronwen. Infants, yeesh, talk about anarchy...

So, what have I learned? Dunno yet. Thus far, most months have been pretty easy to sum up, but this one's being contrary about that, too. From this month I got: two poems that I know I like; sorta started on a new routine of setting time aside (though helping out with the University faculty search monkey-wrenched that up a few times); an idea about scrapping my previous ideas about organizing my thesis (again); and I got a fountain pen.

Na Na Na Na Na Ne Na Na Na

3 comments:

Mishell said...

"So, what have I learned?"
Silly Ali, you learned that shaking is fun! (I'm particularly partial to paint can shakers and those old fashioned exercise machines with the belts that shook shaked off the fat.)

Debbie said...

Love the links. The last one is a nice touch for those one or two people who didn't get the GBS reference. Gotta love a good GBS reference.

Sounds like a successful month overall. And once again, we had opposite feelings about said month. January dragged for me and February seems to have just started.

Ali said...

Like the song says, "Shake it like a James Bond martini." Or, something like that, at least.

Perhaps I am your alter-ego, Deb. Ever think of that?

Yeah, I was pretty pleased with myself for working in the GBS allusion. Na Na Na Na Na Ne Na Na Na...