Friday, February 1, 2008

First Peer Review

Today in 101, my students worked on their first peer reviews. Everybody brought copies of the rough draft of their first formal essay. I made goldenrod colored copies of a peer review guide.

Then I explained extra credit to them:
I'm going to take the grades everyone in your group receives on their final draft and average them out. If your group average isn't at a certain minimum, then there is not effect on your grade. If it is above a certain minimum, everybody in your group gets extra points. This is why it behooves you to be a good peer reviewer.

That said, they set to work and for the next forty five minutes the only sounds in the class were paper noises and the occasional student who had a question for me. The best part was, as I walked around and looked over people's shoulders, I saw people writing whole paragraphs of comments on the peer review forms. It was beautiful.

I love collaboration.

1 comment:

Jenny Maloney said...

Goldenrod? You're color-cooridinating?

Nerd.

Love it.