Monday, November 23, 2009

Character Thoughts, Revision, and Guiding Principles

There's another good post over at Edittorrent. This one looks at character, which I'm all about this month, and I've started thinking about it in relation to Cass. I have a pretty good idea about her first principle and how it gets her into trouble. As I work on revision, I'm thinking about ways I can draw that out a little more to help solidify her character and especially to make her more sympathetic, which is a struggle I'm having.

At the last meeting, Jenny commented on a few portions of the sub which I had missed when I was switching a scene over to 3rd person from 1st. Believe it or not, Jenny liked the 1st person better. Even though I've changed things over so the reader isn't in Cass's head, it seems I need to get them in there anyway. Jenny, ever helpful, suggested I re-write the whole thing to 1st person, and do it in two months. She smiled when she said it, too. How evil is that?

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Ya know. We may have identified the wrong person as the demon. She pretty much tossed off an equally challenging suggestion at my last critique.

Hmmm.

I'm still not sure you need to go to 1st person, just get a tighter POV on Cass in places.

Jenny Maloney said...

Hee hee. I've learned from the best!