Wednesday, June 4, 2008

June Challenge: Step One

I've been more interested in acquiring CDs lately, so my challenge this month was the perfect excuse for hitting the music shop yesterday morning. While some of the albums I picked up are pretty usual for what I listen to (Billy Joel & Dropkick Murphys), I also decided to be brave and go for a couple which are not only a different genre than I usually listen to, but also are female singers - dunno why exactly, but there are exceedingly few female singers I like (though, I'm somehow more inclined to like them if they're part of a ska band, for some reason).

Thus, I now have KT Tunstall and Duffy. Perfect for my music experiment.

In other news, for those of you who haven't been brave yet:
I just updated my Pandora stations - cleaning out some that aren't interesting and adding some bands to others. Check 'em out.

If you never listen to the following, check out the corresponding station:
Ska: Mad Caddies
Punk: Dropkick Murphys
Country: Reckless Kelly
The others, well, I'll just let you figure those out.

Now, in keeping with broadening my musical experience, I'm offering fair exchange here. Since I've recommended new music for you, it's only fair that you recommend some new music for me. So, what are some of your favorite and lesser-well-known groups and what musical genre are they? Got Pandora stations of your own? Inquiring minds want to know.

4 comments:

The One and Only John said...

The Yoshida Brothers, Mana, The X-Ecutioners, Saul Williams, Tomoyasu Hotei, KJ Sawka, Guster, annnnnnddddd, um, crap you also wanted female singers...hm. Melissa Etheridge, Norah Jones, definitely Amy Winehouse, and if you haven't already, Janis Joplin.

Jenny Maloney said...

You want some different people?
Sarah Brightman: this rock opera stuff (milder than Evanessence)
Eiffel 65: funky techno
Haley(?) Westenra: does some covers of like 60s music operatically and some folky music

I also dig Sherrie Austin (country); Andrea Boccelli (opera); Gretchen Wilson (country); All American Rejects(pop/rock); and Snow Patrol (pop/rock) is awesome all around.

Minion GIR said...

Bela Fleck in any genre, Deborah Henson-Conant (jazz harp), Leon Russell, Leon Redbone, Rufus Wainwright.

For female singers:

Michelle Shocked
The Ditty Bops
Carole King
Carly Simon
Michelle Doyle

FYI, willing to share.

Marie D-W said...

I just got a mp3 player (that I won from work) and am having a great time downloading all my old music on it: Springsteen, Paul Simon, James Taylor, Nora Jones and some really really old music: Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holliday. No new music I'm afraid, at least not yet, anyway.