Sunday, November 2, 2008

For Yourself

The biggest thing I'm taking from October is getting back to before I was a "serious" writer, back to when I did it just because I liked telling myself stories. It was more fun then, and I didn't have to worry about anyone else's opinion on what I wrote. It was all just for me.

This month I'm using October momentum to keep on with the Cass stories. They seem to be falling together almost on their own, figuring out how they all fit together with little help from my part. It's fun. There's no pressure for me to do it any particular way, because right now I don't especially plan on them being seen by anyone else any time soon. Maybe, after a while, I'll run them through the CWC. Maybe I won't. Doesn't matter. They're just for me right now, and I'm liking that.

My challenge for you is to spend some time this month writing something just for yourself. What's that story you've always wanted to write, but haven't? What's that idea you've put on the shelf because it'd never fly in your critique group? Now's the time for you to write it. Whatever else you've got on your writing plate, find a little time to write something that's just for you, and to write it exactly the way you, and only you, like it.

4 comments:

Jenny Maloney said...

Um, yeah, I'm doing this challenge in December =)...considering I have to do that other thing this month.

Ali said...

Fair enough. When December rolls around, I'll be curious to know what your "goof off" project is.

Minion GIR said...

Yeah, I'm hoping to get to that point in NaNo where I'm writing Vesta without thinking about what youse guys have said so far. If I finish Vesta before the 50k, then I may be writing completely off the cuff. Could be interesting.

And I want to know what Jenny's fun project is too.

AND I hope Ali decides to share her fun project with us eventually.

Okay, think I've used up all my wishes for the day.

Ali said...

I don't think you can ever really use up your daily wish quota :)