Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Days of Inspiration

"To days of inspiration playing hooky, making something out of nothing. The need to express, to communicate, to going against the grain, going insane, going mad..."
-Rent, “La Vie Boheme”

It’s a pretty appropriate quote for an English major blogger, don’t you think? I love the idea that you can start with nothing, think of a character, an event, a setting, a plot and write them all down then end up with a story. Making stories fascinates me, especially at times when I read or watch one that sticks in my head for days/weeks afterward. To think, if that person, say Jonathan Larson, never wrote it all down, I would have missed out. That’s why I write. Not so much for any grand philosophical reason, but because I like the idea that if I do my job well enough, I can entertain people.

In this blog, my aim is to talk about stories, both reading and writing them. Another lovely thing Larson wrote in that song is "the opposite of war isn't peace, it's creation!" Here's to creation.

No comments: